Monday, March 4, 2013

Parenting and Jogging - Along the Way



Well I expected to get a little fitter if I ran for 30 – 40 kms each week. I also expected that my muscles would tone up and that I would lose a few kilos. I had also expected that I would crave good food for fuel to run and that my appetite would increase as I ran more.

 

I’m enjoying these benefits and love having extra energy for each day and appreciate the overall sense of well being I now experience.

 

One benefit that I had not anticipated was the joy of having 1 or 2 hours of concentrated thinking time three times a week. In the busyness of a week filled with a family to care for, teaching, studying, basketball, tennis, church and ministry, alone time is very rare.

 

I use this ‘head space’ time to pray for my family, school, friends and church. I think through issues and process responses to challenges in my week. This time for meditating, contemplating, quietening my soul has been an unexpected gift.

 

I cherish this time of peace in my heart.

 

So how does this relate to the parenting journey?

 

I had a few expectations in the beginning. I knew there would be lots of feeds, nappies, naps and messes in those early years. I also knew there would be precious moments of laughter, hugs, smiles and memory makers.

 

I had not anticipated the depth of the challenges to myself. My emotions have been stretched beyond what I imagined – from times of great despair in all-night prayer vigils for a wayward choice to the heights of overwhelming gratitude for a wonderful achievement.

 

I am a different person due to the adventure of parenting.

 

I’m glad.