Monday, March 25, 2013

Parenting and Jogging - Completion


 

Well, I did it.

 

After 630 kms of training over 6 months, I finally raced.

 

In almost complete darkness at 6:30 am last Sunday I was on the starting line.

 

I completed my first-ever, and last-ever, ½ marathon.

 

The official time is yet to come but by my watch it was around 2 hours and 25 minutes.

 

My first goal was to simply complete the 21.1 kms course.

 

I did that.

 

My second goal was to run the entire way.

 

I did that.

 

(Although climbing the 400 metre hill at around the 13 kms mark was the most challenging section of the race!)

 

My third goal was to run the race in under 2 1/2 hours.

 

I did that.

 

My vague hope (or distant wish) was to beat Emily, my 18 year old daughter, to the finish line.

 

We had a 200 sprint to the finish line and I was ahead by one stride at the end.

 

Throughout the race I concentrating on what I was doing, not thinking ahead too much. It was only when the finish line was in sight that I started to think about actually finishing.

 

It is such a satisfying feeling to set a goal, work steadily towards it, and then to complete it.

 

I feel very sore and very happy.