Monday, March 11, 2013

Parenting and Jogging - Challenges


 

 

 

From time to time I faced some challenges to my training program.

 

A rolled ankle in a basketball game meant I missed two sessions of jogging.

 

A couple of 46˚ Celsius days meant it was simply too hot to be outside let alone jog.

 

School camp for one week meant I was unable to have the time to run for those four days.

 

Occasionally it would be raining when I had scheduled a training run.

 

So how did I respond to the challenges?

 

For the rolled ankle and hot days I swam at an indoor pool instead.

 

During the camp I took a long fast walk along the beach instead of a run (I discovered I can’t run on soft sand – way too much effort for my muscles!)

 

When it was raining, I still ran – so lovely and refreshing.

 

The parenting journey has some challenging times too.

 

Some days are just one long challenge.

 

Expecting them can help a little. I didn’t expect a problem free day with my toddlers so I wasn’t surprised when I had issues to sort through.

 

Being as proactive as possible was helpful. Thinking through in advance what may happen when I took my toddlers to the shops today and how I would respond greatly improved my chances of responding more calmly to the situation.

 

Also thinking through challenges afterwards was beneficial. If the trip to a friend’s house for a play was a disaster, then I would try and identify where it all went wrong and have a new plan for the next visit.

 

Challenges are part of any journey.

 

Keeping eyes on the goal will ensure you keep moving forward.