Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Parenting and Jogging - Progress


 

So about three months into my training, it all suddenly got easier. The pains in my legs dulled, my breathing become regular and easy and my recovery time was dramatically shortened.

 

My muscles firmed a little and my feet were now comfortable in proper running shoes and no longer ached afterwards. My times were gradually (very gradually) decreasing. I was meeting my goals to increase the kilometres ran each month and I was feeling strong.

 

This progress was incredibly motivating. I started to look forward to each run, and felt a little sad on the rest days as I was keen to have another chance to stretch the run and improve my times.

 

I was experiencing the tangible results of all the hard work.

 

It was finally fun!

 

Parenting is similar. In those early years there is so much hard work to do. Laying the foundation of self-control and obedience is the focus of those very long days. Each day seems very similar to the one before, and there are many tears and heartaches along the way.

 

Gradually however, buds of fruit emerge. Room play is no longer the huge battle it was. Outside play is calm and pleasant, bath time is without tears and bed time eases gently into sleep.

 

You reap what you have sown.

 

You reap slowly, bit by bit.

 

You reap in the next season.

 

It takes time.

 

Enjoy the fruit.