Monday, February 11, 2013

Parenting and Jogging - Encouragement


 

 

 

.

 

 

So, in those early weeks of running, the family dinner conversation would often turn to the plans Emily and I had set.

Emily would express her doubts.

“It’s such a long way to run.”

“We will be racing with people who have spent years running.”

“We will have to get up sooo early to race.”

“Maybe they will close the course before we finish, if our pace is too slow.”

Do you think a 10 km race would be more realistic to aim for?”
 

However, when we were actually running, she was a huge encourager.

“You are doing great, mum!”

“That’s it, just keep going.”

“You can do it!”

“We are almost there, just one more corner!’
 

When I was sitting in my lounge room, I felt supremely confident that I could accomplish my goal. I was excited and motivated and enjoyed planning out my program. The doubts of others were easily countered.
 

When I was actually running however, my confidence would wane. I was in pain, my muscles hurt, it was a struggle to breathe and I was barely finishing one lap (out of my final goal of 8 laps).


I needed the encouragement in the midst of the hard work.
 
In the midst of the struggle.
 
In the midst of the pain.

Likewise with my parenting. it is in the hard moments that encouragement and  friendship is most appreciated.

And needed.