Monday, January 21, 2013

Parenting and Jogging - Observers


 
So I either run early in the morning or after 6 in the evening, when it has cooled down a little.

 

I get a variety of reactions from other people.

 

A few people smile and say hello.

 

They see what I am doing and see it as a worthwhile thing to be doing. These people are walking or running too.

 

A few people just stare or frown.

 

They think I am crazy to be running around and around the same streets three times a week. These people are sitting or standing on their front lawns.

 

Most people simply don’t know that I am running.

 

They are inside their homes eating or sleeping or relaxing. Or they are out and about working and doing their own things.

 

They don’t care that I am running or that I have a goal.

 

This is so true of parenting too.

 

A few other parents understand and are also parenting with intent. They too have a concrete goal for their precious wee ones.

 

A few other parents simply disapprove or don’t understand the way I parent. They evaluate and judge on the moment, rather than from the perspective of a long range goal.

 

Most other parents simply don’t know or care how I am parenting.

 

This realisation has been quite liberating. I enjoy journeying with those who are on the same path. I can listen but not be surprised when parents on a different journey comment or criticise, knowing they don’t have the big picture view.

 

Most of all, I accept that most others don’t ever see or know the labour of each day for each child, and that’s okay.

 

I parent for an audience of One.