Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Parenting and Jogging - The Destination



 

Well, I have caught the running bug.

 

I now run three times a week and just love it.

 

As I run, I have heaps of time to think and pray.

 

One of the topics I have been musing over is the parallels between running and parenting.

 

Both have a goal.

 

My running goal is to complete a half marathon sometime this year.

 

My parenting goal has been to raise responsible and morally responsive young adults.

 

Both require planning, hard work and commitment.

 

Neither of these goals will just happen.

 

Tears, sadness, pain and disappointment are evident along the journey.

 

Laughter, happiness, achievement and success are there too.

 

The weekly plan is part of a bigger picture. What I do this week is a step towards the destination.

 

I need to keep reminding myself ‘where’ am I heading so that I have a ‘why’ for my choices today.

 

I need to keep the destination in view.