Thursday, June 11, 2015

Contentment



Contentment

I read a newspaper article recently that was identifying the trend for ‘mummy bloggers’ to focus on the negative aspects of motherhood. These type of articles receive rave reviews for their honesty and transparency. Those who write articles sharing how much they love parenting are loudly disapproved off.

 

It seems it is trendy to complain.

 

There is no doubt that parenting is hard work.

 

Sleepless nights.

 

Unwell children.

 

Sibling rivalry.

 

Constant whining.

 

Never-ending piles of washing.

 

Yet the joys of parenting are immense.

 

Cuddles and kisses.

 

Beautiful smiles.

 

The sweet ‘I love you’.

 

The delight of the first step, the first word spoken.

 

The pride in the first attempts at writing, counting and reading.

 

So should we complain about the hard bits of parenting or magnify those treasured memory moments?

 

Maybe a balance is best.

 

Parenting, like any occupation has good days and bad days. 

 

We can acknowledge the hard moments, the hard days and the hard seasons. Yet we can choose to focus on the positive aspects, the snippets of fun and light in the middle of the busyness. We can choose to see the good and we can choose to remember the best of each day.

Each night I write in my journal. Most nights, it is only a few lines. Occasionally I write a whole page. I record one thing I am thankful for. I write why I am thankful for that. This is such a simple act that takes only a minute or two in my day.

Yet it is so powerful. My eyes are open to the little moments in the day. My heart is open to enjoying that special moment. I treasure that small act of kindness. I value the interaction with a friend or colleague or child. I am more thankful for the many, many little things in each day. My heart is grateful.

I am content.

 

So, yes, be honest about the ‘hard’ elements of parenting. It is not fun for every minute of the day. That’s okay.

Enjoy the journey.

Enjoy the season you are in.

Enjoy today.

Enjoy this moment.

Be content.